Re: Differences in layout between validators

Hi Dom,

On Mar 13, 2008, at 14:24 , Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> I've noted a few small differences between the layout for the markup
> validator and the css validator:

Not implying that these are right or wrong, but here are the reasons
behind these discrepancies.

> * the tabs in the CSS validator reads "Validate by...", while the
> markup validator only reads "By ..."

I personally loathe the "validate by" repeated 4 times. In a first
installment it was "by ...", as a way of following the tagline
Check the markup
   ... by URI
   ... etc

Some people adamantly argued that this was bad for accessibility.

In the case of the CSS validator, I guess nobody noticed it stayed as
originally designed, and we're trying to avoid using the terms
"validate" and "valid" for css anyway.

> * there is more space between "More options" and the check button in
> the CSS Validator than in the Markup validator

Which browser?

> * the markup validator has always a Home link (even on its home page),
> while the CSS validator only has the home link when not on the home
> page
> * the markup validator says "About..." and "Docs" where the css
> validator reads "About" and "Documentation"
> * the download link in the CSS validator could probably be removed (as
> it was from the validator)

Good points, noted.

> (as another aside, I'm not sure that using "URI" is very user-
> friendly;
> "Web address" or "Page address" might be more largely understood)

I don't think anybody complained about this, especially since the "By
URI" is the default view and the label for the URI field says
"address". So, hopefully this is a painless way to "educate" about the
term "URI"?