Re: validator/httpd/cgi-bin check,1.556,1.557

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:35:00 +0300
To: "QA-dev" <public-qa-dev@w3.org>

On Thursday 23 August 2007, you wrote:
> > I see. Fact is, the warning *is* triggered by this DTD issue, hence
> > clogging of the logs.
>
> Sure, but that's a bug in the test; it's comparing a line length found
> by indexing into the Document Instance data based on the line number
> reported in the External Subset data, to the reported column the error
> was detected.
>
> This probably means the warning will be (improperly) triggered every
> single time we're confused about the parse mode (or at least for one
> of the combinations XML/SGML or SGML/XML).

It will also spew undefined variable warnings for each error in a DTD which
has a line number larger than the number of lines in the document, and is
likely to produce bogus output for the rest.  I commented it out altogether.

Errors in the DTD will still produce confusing line/column identifiers in all
cases, and random and sometimes broken links to anchors in "show source"
mode.