Re: mod_perl memory usage

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 18:35:02 +0900
Cc: "QA-dev" <public-qa-dev@w3.org>
To: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>, Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@w3.org>

Hi all,

Just FYI, we have switch mod_perl2 off on all validator servers again.
Running under mod-perl seemed like a good idea, but there were some
issues we're having trouble explaining, like how the load remained
really, really high on the machines (apache2 processes using up a lot
of CPU) even when very few requests were being received.

Switcing off mod_perl means more resource forks, and a slightly
slower validation process, but ultimately, less load and less wait,
it seems. Go figure.

I still want to try some of the performance tweaks you suggested,
Ville [1] (avoiding copying content, undef-ing after use, etc).
Gerald also was suggesting looking at e.g BSD::Resource or any ulimit-
like system, to avoid having some "check" processes spin away and hog
CPU. Worth a shot.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qa-dev/2007Jul/0022.html