Re: any idea why validator(-jp) would repeatedly fetch XHTML DTDs?

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 03:21:39 +0200
To: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Cc: QA Dev <public-qa-dev@w3.org>, Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>, Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@w3.org>

* olivier Thereaux wrote:
>They also get downloaded, although less so than XHTML ones.

That's then likely for similar reasons, like missing FPI, incorrect FPI,
XHTML document with HTML doctype (though that's rather unlikely) and so
on.

>attached is a small file giving a good idea (I think) of the frequency
>at which the DTDs are requested. XHTML1 are the most popular by far,
>with HTML4 transitional and xhtml-mod DTD second and third.

I suspect the modularization requests are thanks to third party DTDs
(XHTML 1.1 plus target attribute and such) and the popular XHTML 1.1
Strict document type.

>Hmm, I guess that does not explain everything, but that's a tempting
>explanation. I'll test it today. If that were the case, would merging
>sgml.dtd and xml.dtd, and have xml.soc and sgml.soc refer to the same
>fallback system catalog, help? I can't think of any issue it may cause,
>but I could be overlooking something.

I am not sure merging is the right process here, but copying the FPI
to SI maps over should work to some extend. I'm not sure how this would
interact with the scary doctype decetion code in the branches though.