Re: getting markup validator 0.8 ready in sync with opensp 1.5.2

* olivier Thereaux wrote:
>As far as I can tell the summary Bjoern gave in [1] is still correct:
>0.8.0-dev is functional, except for a few features missing (outline,
>parse tree, raw errors, esis?)

http://www.w3.org/mid/415a6e56.165502970@smtp.bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Indeed, ;esis is no longer useful, outline more in scope of a general
purpose web site tools or maybe quality assurance portal, raw errors
isn't that meaningful anymore (but easy to implement in any case),
parse tree isn't that useful at the moment.

>I am not yet familiar enough with SGML::Parser::OpenSP to really know
>what it would take to bring these functionalities back. Bjoern, maybe
>you could explain this quickly?

We will at some point have a DOM tree and an event stream (we need both
as many things can't be done with only an event stream well, Schematron
validation for example), so you can either implement something that does
this in terms of a DOM tree (e.g., an XSLT) or an event stream (a Perl
SAX handler).

I don't know how the output format should look like, the current format
is probably not what you'd generate if processing does not depend on the
ESIS output of onsgmls. If you make a Perl SAX handler you don't really
need to be concerned about integration with the Validator, if it works
with the other XML::SAX modules (XML::SAX::ExpatXS most importantly) we
should be fine, I'll take care that SPO is compatible with that.

Final integration work will be easy if the new module provides some
XHTML code that just needs to be copied into the output, loading the
module, registering it and adding the module output to the Validator
output should be a matter of a few lines of code then.

>BTW, loosely related, the instance of check 0.8.0 on my mac machine,
>(running custom opensp 1.5.2pre and spo 0.99 which Bjoern provided
>me, I recall), now dies with:
>Unexpected error message format at /Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-
>multi-2level/SGML/Parser/OpenSP.pm line 44
>I suspect my version of SPO is outdated, will try to install from CVS
>soon.

This will likely have something to do with temporary files, I'm not sure
whether the CVS version already does it, but if not you should change
the code in OpenSP.pm such that you get the raw message. Temp file probs
are so far the only known case of unexpected message formats.