Re: Web Service documentation (Was: WSDL for W3C Validators)

On 9 Nov 2005, at 17:33, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> Cool. Here's a start:
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/htdocs/docs/api.html
> visible at:
> http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/docs/api
>
> What it needs:
> - rewordings, clarifications, a fresh eye to assess whether the
> document is understandable or not. Karl, if you want to be 1)
> guinea pig and 2) reviewer, you're very welcome
> - some CSS magic to make the tables usable. The default table style
> is fine for other parts of the validator site, but we should give
> these reference tables a class and make them prettier.

The CSS I took care of today.

Karl offered to look at the document and compare it to other examples
of "APIs" for popular web services, so that our document can be
familiar to the hordes of developers. For having used the google API
doc [1], I think ours is fairly similar. The amazon API I know a
little, but their service seems much more complicated than ours - I
can never find anything in it. Others (flickr[2], bloglines[3]) look
similar in wording and presentation to what we're doing.

[1] http://www.google.com/apis/reference.html
[2] http://www.flickr.com/services/api/response.soap.html
[3] http://www.bloglines.com/services/api/

Karl, please ping me when you are done, so that I can open the
document to a broader audience for review.

One thing we're still missing is a link to library implementations,
but there are none yet :). I'm going to ping again Struan Donald, who
made a perl library to use the markup validator's XML format, since
he hasn't responded yet to my message [4].

[4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2005Oct/0092.html