Re: How to write code for W3C

On 9 Nov 2005, at 05:55, Karl Dubost wrote:
> The first two links are How to write code and how to get involved.
> The /QA Page will be changed soon once the QA IG rechartering is
> done and if it's accepted. :) I think we will have a lot to learn
> from Mozilla.
>
> The Getting Involved was there, but I would push it in its own page
>     http://www.w3.org/QA/Overview.html#involved

I agree we've made mistakes in this regard.
One goes to /QA/, find "getting involved", then goes to the QAIG
page, and then the qa-dev page (which does not really give
instructions to participate). First mistake probably was to separate
getting involved in QA vs QAIG. Second issue is that there is not one
process to contribute to software. Each project has its mailing-list
(or not), its IRc channel (or not), is maintainer (...or not).

It would probably make (more) sense to have a "how to contribute to
W3C open-source software" in http://www.w3.org/Status
and have other locations (one "writing code" and a "help build better
software" in the QA home, as well as the qa-dev description page)
more consistently link to /Status.

> In changing the /QA Home page, I think we could improve
>     * The real estate for information
>     * The design
>     * The labels for accessing the different parts of the site
>         "How to write code" is certainly clearer than "Tools -> Qa
> Dev".

Yes. The key here I think, as hinted by my comment above, will be to
not repeat the usual mistake of thinking in terms of W3C internal
organization.