Re: WSDL for W3C Validators

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 17:37:17 +0900
Cc: QA Dev <public-qa-dev@w3.org>
To: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>

On Nov 2, 2005, at 7:25, Karl Dubost wrote:
>> Any thought on the proposed plan to:
>> - finish documenting the interface, the namespace, and publish the
>> WSDL;
>
> What does it take to finish the documentation?

You mean, other that time? :)

The things I think are really missing right now for the CSS validator
(which is the only one in production with a SOAP interface), and by
extension the things that will be necessary for the others:

* human readable documentation of the "API", should at least give basic
instructions on how to create a query (i.e list parameters and values)
and what to expect as a response (i.e document the format, without
necessarily document the whole schema at length, the machine-readable
version(s) will do that)

* a WSDL for the service. We have one based on the current WD of wsdl2
(attached, validator_w2.wsdl), but given how most tools still mostly
grok version 1.1, we {also/at least} need one written with that format.
I recall Yves asked for help on this but I don't think it has been done
yet, so I've given it a try today (attached, validator_w11.wsdl): it's
well formed, validates etc, but I haven't found a tool able to parse
and use it yet (the otherwise rather convenient oxygen does not seem to
understand the soap1.2 binding, unfortunately).