Re: getting more participation for development

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:46:49 +0100
To: QA Dev <public-qa-dev@w3.org>

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 09:36:00PM +0300, Ville Skytt? wrote:

> The current validator and link checker codebases are plain scary for
> newcomers, and sometimes also for the more regular contributors (at
> least myself).

Here here. I've poked at it a few times, and it can be a bit difficult
to see what is going on.

> Perl itself is certainly a turn off for some potential contributors,
> even if the current team working on this stuff is comfortable with it.
> I don't personally have a problem with that.

Personally, I love Perl. Best programming language in the world ;)

> But the one-huge-script-does-everything approach is a worse problem.

Yup, it could do with being broken up in to discrete modules.

> Thankfully we'll be getting rid of it in the foreseeable future;

Woo hoo!

(OK, this is, in effect, a "me too" post, but in this case I think it
would be helpful to know that there are "me too"ers out there)