Re: check with SGML::Parser::OpenSP (and branches)

* Ville Skyttä wrote:
>Yep... but let's get a decision whether we want to support running
>validator 0.8+ _without_ some version of mod_perl, first, ok? :)
>Support for running without mod_perl means keeping stuff so generic
>anyway that I think the m_p 1 vs 2 vs both question is moot.

I think what's most important is more active development and the
online service (which we have full control over); improvements for
legacy systems tend to make our code more complicated and while it
might be nice if the Validator delivers basic functionality on such
systems, I don't think we should optimize for them.

The caching issue for example is already addressed in HEAD by using
the 'cache' option which is mod_perl-only (but degrades gracefully),
I don't think we should add the file_cache options to gain a small
speed improvement for CGI environments.

A little tweak here and a small workaround there might be appealing
but we really really need to make the code simpler rather than more
complicated.