Re: check with SGML::Parser::OpenSP (and branches)

On 18 Aug 2005, at 05:38, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> Attached is a patch for the 0_7 branch for comments.
>
> I'm somewhat undecided on whether to have the file caching
> commented out
> by default in validator.conf (like it is in this patch), or to have it
> uncommented and document the possible requirement of having the
> Storable
> module installed (it's part of Perl 5.8.0 and later, but needs to be
> separately installed for earlier versions; 0.7.x still supports
> Perl >=
> 5.6.0).  Perhaps leave it commented out, and just uncomment when
> deploying on v.w.o?

Sounds reasonable to not have new requirements between 0.7.0 and 0.7.1.

How about adding a paragraph to the installation document, saying:
[[
     For better performance, you may enable the template cache
mechanism by removing the # character before the file_cache
parameter. Note however that this options requires you to run a more
recent version of perl (5.8) than the validator usually requires (5.6
and above).
]]

Also as you noted, 0.8 could quite reasonably require perl 5.8. As
far as I can tell, it was available on activeperl since late 2002,
and on the mac since 10.3.

> I'm not sure if the top-level "TemplateOptions" section is the best
> choice in the config file; if someone has better ideas for the name or
> the "level", shoot.

We are in validator.conf, in a context of configuration options. So I
suggest simply <Templates>...</Templates>

> The patch for HEAD would be basically the same as this one, except
> that
> there the default caching would default to "cache = 1", uncommented,
> assuming that we'll require mod_perl and Perl 5.8.0+ there.

ok with me. Does anyone know whether we're going to need apache2 +
mod_perl2 or if 0.8 will run on 1.3+mod_perl?