Re: [checklink] HTTP basic authentication

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 16:20, Dominique Hazaël-Massieux wrote:

> What about making the trusted domain a configuration option? That way,
> people could set it to what would fit their need on their local setup,
> and we at W3C would set it for W3C?

This is exactly what I meant by suggesting the W3C specific instance,
but I don't think validator.w3.org/checklink should be that one.  IMO,
the current one should stay "generic", and a new one set up to satisfy
W3C needs.

The only configuration methods checklink currently supports are the
command line options/form parameters and some variables in the script
itself.  See the script, in particular $_trusted.  That's the default
value for the trusted domain (and it will always be used in the current
online version).

Additionally, checklink should really have an external configuration
file using Config::General, I'll add a RFE to bugzilla.

> I'd really dislike having a tool running on a W3C site not adapted to
> W3C needs...

Of course.  OTOH, it doesn't make sense to me to provide a public
service on the W3C site which is /fixed/ (partially, in this case) to
W3C needs :)

I'll try to land some new code into CVS today or tomorrow for this and
will post a notification here.  I'll also see if I can set up a test
version on qa-dev.w3.org.

--
\/ille Skyttä
ville.skytta at iki.fi