Re: [check] current checkout always says 'not valid'

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:16:06 +0200
To: public-qa-dev@w3.org

Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi> wrote:

>On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 11:47, Martin Duerst wrote:
>
>>However, on documents that are supposed to be valid, I get a message
>>saying This Page Is NOT Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional! without any
>>single warning or error message.
>
>Make sure that you're running Liam Quinn's lq-nsgmls (from
><http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/src/lq-sp-1.3.4.9.tar.gz>),
>it's required nowadays for some additional security fixes, I guess.

Actually, I'm pretty much "requiring" OpenSP these days. The security fixes
are just some of what lq-nsgmls lacks and supporting both will be far too
much of a pain unless and until the mythical pluggable backends become a
reality.

>Alternatively, you can use the normal nsgmls, just remove '-R' from its
>options (look for @xmlflags) in the validator source.

No! Please don't do this on any server exposed to the world.

>Hmm, perhaps the possible "-R" should be part of the "SGML Parser"
>config var in validator.conf instead of being hardcoded in the script...

I don't want to make it too easy to turn it off. You'd better know
_exactly_ what you're doing before you mess with that particular switch.