Re: [EPUB Roadmap] EPUB3 Justification call

Sorry, I'm unavailable during all proposed slots.

You can have a look at https://www.edrlab.org/epub/epub2-vs-epub3/ <https://www.edrlab.org/epub/epub2-vs-epub3/>, where we have listed he main differences btw EPUB 2 & 3. But this list comes from previous IDPF documents, so nothing new there.

When trying to push publishers to forget EPUB 2, we usually put forward
- enhanced typography
- enhanced accessibility (including media overlays)
- fixed layout for highly graphical publications, for instance children books
- interactivity via the support of javascript
- now supported by all new versions of reading systems
- path to the future, with the support of unconstrained HTML5/CSS3 (--> CSS Grids etc.).

I would like to come back to a pain point I've already raised: many existing eInk readers (and some reading apps) have custom rendering engines, and therefore cannot support EPUB 3 with its unconstrained use of HTML5/CSS3.

In order to "kill" EPUB 2 once for all, the PBG should IMO study the impact (positive/negative) of creating a "basic" profile of EPUB 3 that low-end eInk readers could easily implement. A sort of EPUB 2 à la mode EPUB 3. This should be discussed with eInk device solution providers first, to check their interest in it.

Cordialement,

Laurent Le Meur
EDRLab