Re: ISO Time frame (was Re: Meeting minutes 2017-06-06)

Leonard,

I do not think we should try to create an International Standard.  Since
EPUB is ISO/IEC
<http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_ics/catalogue_detail_ics.htm?ics1=35&ics2=240&ics3=30&csnumber=53255>TS
30135
<http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_ics/catalogue_detail_ics.htm?ics1=35&ics2=240&ics3=30&csnumber=53255>,
our goal for EPUB Accessibility should be a
TS (Technical Specification).  It is simply impossible to create an IS
based on a TS using the normal process.

This means that neither a CD nor a DIS is needed.  We only need a
Proposed Draft Technical Specification.  It requires a two month ballot.
The New Work Item Proposal certainly needs a ballot, which requires
three months.  I thus think that one year is a reasonable guess.

What is a bit complicated is the parallel ballot.  Since ISO/IEC JTC1/JWG7
is a joint working group bySC34, IEC TC100/TA10, and ISO TC46,
we need a parallel ballot for the PDTS.  But the NWIP ballot can be
done in SC34 only.  I spoke with the SC34 secretariat about this and made
sure.

Regards,
Makoto

Makoto