Re: PROV-ISSUE-617: Why are some prov-constraint inferences in prov-o, but not others? [Ontology]

Hi Tim,

Looking at it, I think the rules seem a bit complicated. So we only encode
two inferences:

- Inference 15 included in prov-o (?p subpropertyOf prov:wasInfluencedBy)
- Inference 20 included in prov-o (prov:specializationOf subproperty of
prov:alternateOf)

- For Inference 15, it seems to me that this is a result of a core design
decision behind prov-o, which is structuring the ontology around influence.
As Luc says the subproperties mirror the influence hierarchy and conveys
the message that all these things are influence.

- For Inference 20, again this mirrors the class hierarchy.

I think the rationale is as follows. PROV-O has three design drivers: 1)
reflect the concepts defined in PROV-DM, 2) provide a well-structured and
usable ontology 3) remain tractable. Realising those goals may lead to
certain inferences that match what is defined in prov-constraints. These
matches are artefacts of the design and are not derived from
prov-constraints. In particular, the two inferences that are matched are
because of the class hierarchies included to help organize the ontology.

Thoughts?
Paul