Re: examples with blank nodes in prov-o html document

On 12/02/2013 13:44, Timothy Lebo wrote:
> Luc,
>
> On Jan 15, 2013, at 5:51 PM, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> The prov-o document has several examples with blank nodes.
>> Some of them are difficult
>> to express in prov-n/prov-xml.
>>
>> Consider:
>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/5495d990f17b/testcases/provo/prov-o-property-hadUsage-PASS.ttl
>>
>> The usage has no identifier we can use in the derivation.
>
> Any identifier will do; you may choose a new one for each bnode you find.

Not *any* identifier:  you have to pick one that almost certainly won;t be used
for something else - i.e. a UUID or similar.

Use or non-use of blank nodes is something of a religious issue in RDF circles.
They can be problematic in some environments, but such environments would be
free to allocate UUIDs for themselves.  Also, using them can sometimes lead to a
proliferation of RDF graph size, but I don't think that would be a problem in
the case of examples.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about using blank nodes in examples - they are a
valid aspect of RDF, and I don't see that changing.