Re: Revised PROV Overview

OK, thanks.  You decisions on the discussion points you listed below all seem fine.

For (1), I guess it is debatable that we support the full intent of recommendation 2, since e.g. there are not specific extensibility points for licensing, digital signatures, etc.  But these seem out of scope, and if someone else comes up with a vocabulary for such links, then they can be used with PROV too.  In any case, the summary of recommendation 2 in the overview is clearly satisfied (and is something that was kept in mind as a requirement throughout the process).

For (2), this seems fine, I guess I just misinterpreted the rationale for discussing the requirements.

For (3), your version of the figure looks good!
 - Minor point: There still doesn't seem to be a caption labeling it as "Figure 1".

--James

On Apr 17, 2013, at 6:49 PM, Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> I've addressed all your comments, I hope except for the SOTD which I think we are stuck with.
>
> Here are the specific things
>
> 1. PROV-XG recommendations
> I included the summaries as you suggested, I hope this covers what you were asking for. I also agree with you that we do cover all the recommendations. Luc disagreed with that but after rereading I think the fact that we support extensibility covers this.
>
> 2. Coverage of required documents
>
> You asked: "If we are providing evidence that the WG did its job here, should we explain the relationship between the planned WG deliverables and the actual ones?  I don't see why we should, just curious."
>
> I think this is probably getting into the weeds. The reason we explained the recommendations from the xg was that we wanted to address the question, well what was your model based on?
>
> 3. Updated figure
> Thanks for your updated figure. I pretty much adopted the approach wholesale. Is it better?
>
> Thanks
> Paul
>

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM, James Cheney <jcheney@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Here are some  review comments.
>
> 1. In my version of Firefox, just before appendix A a big chunk of text appears:
>
>>    An entity is a physical, digital, conceptual, or other kind of thing with some fixed aspects; entities may be real or imaginary.
>> An activity is something that occurs over a period of time and acts upon or with entities; it may include consuming, processing, transforming, modifying, relocating, using, or generating entities. An agent is something that bears some form of responsibility for an activity taking place, for the existence of an ... Something that is a contextualization of another presents all aspects of the latter as per its description in a bundle, and therefore constitutes a specialization of the latter.
>>
> This appears to be a respec/firefox bug, it doesn't appear elsewhere.  The HTML shows that there is a glossary element in the HTML source.  Perhaps removing that will fix this.  In any case, it seems to go away when the HTML document is rendered properly by Javascript.
>
> 2. Rereading the boilerplate under "PROV Family of Documents" for the millionth time, it seems to me that the sentence
>
>> This document is part of the PROV family of documents, a set of documents defining various aspects that are necessary to achieve the vision of inter-operable interchange of provenance information in heterogeneous environments such as the Web.
>
> is quite vague - what are "various aspects"?  I guess it is too late to change this, but I wish we could say something more specific than "various aspects".  Also, "necessary" seems a little strong, though I don't have a constructive suggestion.

> [...]
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.