Re: provenance of provenance

From: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 13:46:28 +0100
To: Khalid Belhajjame <Khalid.Belhajjame@cs.man.ac.uk>
CC: Provenance Working Group WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
Hi Khalid,

Comments below

On 05/17/2012 10:54 AM, Khalid Belhajjame wrote:
> Hi,
> Here is what I think:
> +1 for dropping 'account'
> +1 for introducing 'bundle' (bundle has a weaker semantics than
> account, which I like, the definition of bundle needs to be slightly
> modified as indicated below)
> +1 for dropping hasAnnotation and Note
> +1 for adding the component on bundles
> Regarding the section on bundle in
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/working-copy/wd6-bundle.html:
> - The definition of bundle states that "A bundle is a named set of
> provenance descriptions, and is itself an entity, so allowing
> provenance of provenance to be expressed.". I don't think a bundle is
> necessarily an entity. A bundle becomes an entity only when somebody
> decides to describe its provenance. This applies to anything, not just
> bundles. Therefore, I would suggest reformulating the definition to
> something in the lines of "A bundle is a named set of provenance
> descriptions.". If there is a need, then more details specifying that
> a bundle is an entity when its provenance is described can be
> elaborated when presenting the example specifying the provenance of
> the bundle created by Alice.
There is a precedent for this. We said a Plan is an entity.  We said a
Collection is an entity. Why not a bundle?
> - I think that the description of the provenance locator construct is
> outside the scope of the data model. If the group feels that there is
> a need for having such a construct, then I think that it will be more
> appropriate to try to adapt it and include it within the PAQ document.

My PASOA experience is that we need to make such assertions for
provenance to be incrementally browseable.
The relation also provides a notion of alternate.
For these reasons, I feel it belongs to the data model and ontology.