Re: PROPOSALS TO VOTE ON (deadline: Wednesday 14th, midnight GMT)

From: Khalid Belhajjame <Khalid.Belhajjame@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 17:08:40 +0000
To: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
CC: Provenance Working Group WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
On 09/03/2012 14:41, Luc Moreau wrote:
> Dear all,
> Find three proposals to vote on. They are intended to simplify the
> data model.
> The proposals are related to ISSUE-207 (start/end), ISSUE-206, and
> ISSUE-204(end of entity).
> If you have issues with them, please raise them promptly, since we are
> keen to have these
> resolved by the next teleconference on Thursday.
> They all appear in
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/working-copy/wd5-prov-dm-misc.html
> Please express your vote for each proposal separately:
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/working-copy/wd5-prov-dm-misc.html#proposal1
Looking, however, at the definition of wasInvalidatedBy, it seems that
the activity that invalidated the entity in question is optional. This
suggests to rename wasInvalidatedBy to wasInvalidated. This observation
also applies to wasGeneratedBy.

> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/working-copy/wd5-prov-dm-misc.html#proposal2
In the definition of wasStartedBy, the trigger is the existence of an
entity. I think this makes the definition a bit hard to grasp. A natural
way of defining the start and end of an activity would be with respect
to an event, which can be, e.g., the generation or the use of an entity,
etc. Is there a reason why we are trying to avoid the use of notion of
"event" here?

> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/working-copy/wd5-prov-dm-misc.html#proposal3

Thanks, khalid