[owl changed] Re: PROV-ISSUE-104 (time-class): How to relate start/end time to PE, use, generation, etc [Formal Model]

From: Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 08:43:57 -0500
Cc: Daniel Garijo <dgarijo@delicias.dia.fi.upm.es>, Provenance Working Group WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
To: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>

On Mar 9, 2012, at 4:43 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 04:29, Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu> wrote:
>> I left TimeInstant and prov:inXSDDateTime around so that some _may_ use it if they wish, but it is not a principal (simple) modeling construct.
>
>> But I don't think this prevents Stian from just associating the temporal entities directly (activities, usages, etc). No?
>
> Now that they are all InstantaneousEvent, then no, that should still
> be kind-of fine, as I can do:
>
>  :activity1 a prov:Activity ;
>      prov:qualifiedStart :activity1Start ;
>      prov:qualifiedEnd :activity1End .
>
>  :entity1 prov:qualifiedGeneration :entity1Gen .
>
>  :activity1Gen ex:after :activity1Start .
>  :activity1End ex:after :activity1Gen .
>
> and in fact, if I as an asserter still like OWL Time, I can make
> :activity1Gen etc. instances of time:Instant and use time:after
> instead of my own ex:after - even make a property ex:started as
> subproperty of both prov:qualifiedStart and time:hasBeginning (and
> equivalent for prov:atTime/time:inXSDDateTime)  and talk about
> :activity1  as an time:Interval.

Great!

> I don't think we need both TimeInstant/inXSDDateTime and
> InstantaneousEvent/atTime - as they are both saying the same thing.

Agreed. I'm phasing out TimeInstant/inXSD in favor of InstantaneousEvent/atTime.

> (Unless you claim an Event is more specific than a TimeInstant - but
> then there is still no room for TimeInstant in PROV-O.)
>

> What are the (now data) properties prov:startedAtTime and
> prov:endedAtTime for? They don't have any domain -

Should be domain Activity
fixed:
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/rev/a52fd5a26104
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/rev/878e96a62f9c
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/rev/3761c08dbcd9

> but in ProvRDF they
> are used with Activity. - however there they are object properties to
> prov:TimeInstant.

fixed range to dateTime in http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ProvRDF#Activity

-Tim