Re: PROV-ISSUE-104 (time-class): How to relate start/end time to PE, use, generation, etc [Formal Model]

From: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 09:43:01 +0000
To: Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu>
Cc: Daniel Garijo <dgarijo@delicias.dia.fi.upm.es>, Provenance Working Group WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 04:29, Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu> wrote:
> I left TimeInstant and prov:inXSDDateTime around so that some _may_ use it if they wish, but it is not a principal (simple) modeling construct.

> But I don't think this prevents Stian from just associating the temporal entities directly (activities, usages, etc). No?

Now that they are all InstantaneousEvent, then no, that should still
be kind-of fine, as I can do:

  :activity1 a prov:Activity ;
      prov:qualifiedStart :activity1Start ;
      prov:qualifiedEnd :activity1End .

  :entity1 prov:qualifiedGeneration :entity1Gen .

  :activity1Gen ex:after :activity1Start .
  :activity1End ex:after :activity1Gen .

and in fact, if I as an asserter still like OWL Time, I can make
:activity1Gen etc. instances of time:Instant and use time:after
instead of my own ex:after - even make a property ex:started as
subproperty of both prov:qualifiedStart and time:hasBeginning (and
equivalent for prov:atTime/time:inXSDDateTime)  and talk about
:activity1  as an time:Interval.

I don't think we need both TimeInstant/inXSDDateTime and
InstantaneousEvent/atTime - as they are both saying the same thing.
(Unless you claim an Event is more specific than a TimeInstant - but
then there is still no room for TimeInstant in PROV-O.)

What are the (now data) properties prov:startedAtTime and
prov:endedAtTime for? They don't have any domain - but in ProvRDF they
are used with Activity. - however there they are object properties to
prov:TimeInstant.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science