Re: ISSUE-24: Semantic document address "P and things used by P determine values of some of X's invariant properties (less strict)"

From: James Cheney <jcheney@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 18:34:33 +0000
To: Provenance Working Group WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
I noticed this issue raised on the formal semantics is still open.

It was raised originally by Luc, and the description was:

> The subgroup dealing with semantics should consider how characteristics of an entity state generated by a process execution are determined (or not) by this process execution and the entity states this process process execution. There is a concern that in an open world we may have not asserted the actual entity states that caused this entity state.

I believe that since then, PROV-DM has been rewritten to reflect a consensus that we should avoid mandating semantic constraints concerning causality or determination, so this concern is no longer relevant to PROV-SEM.  Thus, I propose to close the issue after next week's teleconference unless there is further discussion before then.

--James

On Jul 6, 2011, at 10:47 PM, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> ISSUE-24: Semantic document address "P and things used by P determine values of some of X's invariant properties (less strict)"

> Raised by:
> On product:

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.