Re: PROV-ISSUE-185: Section 3 (PROV-DM as on Nov 28) [prov-dm]

Hi Satya,
I note you indicate this issue can be closed.  I am closing it now.

A further few comments interleaved.

On 02/11/2012 12:56 AM, Satya Sahoo wrote:
> Hi Luc,
> A couple of points w.r.t section 5.3.3.1 for "responsibility record"
> in DM-TPWD :
> 1. I understand that actedOnBehalfOf is to "promote take-up" - this
> brings up an old (but key) issue (also bought up by Paul on Dec 7th),
> how do we decide what should be included in a "core" PROV model. We
> can easily add many more similar properties to "promote take-up" and
> end up with an unwieldy "core" model. I think we need to consider
> whether it makes sense to add "short-cut" constructs in a distinct
> "core+extended" model to "promote take-up" than to "clutter" the
> "core" model.

I don't see how actedOnBehalfOf clutters the core model.  There is
nothing equivalent to it, and it can capture all the variants
you suggested by means of subtyping.  If there is a suggestion for a
better name for this relation, it should be put forward.

> In PROV-O we are planning to use a "core" + "extension" approach.
>
> 2. The notion of "subordinate" and "responsible" Agent is not captured
> in the ASN for actedOnBehalfOf. If this notion is important and should
> be followed by provenance applications, it should be made clear in ASN.

I don't understand this.  What do you mean by 'not captured'?

Luc