more fuel for the thing vs. entity fire

From: Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 09:54:07 -0500
To: Provenance Working Group <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
prov-wg,

I'm starting fresh with DM WD3 and wanted to make sure that I followed along in the Thing vs. Entity discussions.

The DM currently says:

"The assertion of an entity record states, from a given asserter's viewpoint, the existence of an entity, whose situation in the world is represented by the attribute-value pairs, which remain unchanged during a characterization interval"

would it become:

"The assertion of an entity record states, from a given asserter's viewpoint, the existence of a ___thing___, whose situation in the world is represented by the attribute-value pairs, which remain unchanged during a characterization interval"

As I understand it:
The entity record is identifying the entity, which is characterizing some ("real world") thing according to the asserter.
And, entities are certain kinds of things (since, the moment we characterize something, our characterization is also a thing).

Thanks,
Tim