PROV-ISSUE-358 (web resource): Avoid using the term "Web resource" in PAQ [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 09:27:24 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
PROV-ISSUE-358 (web resource): Avoid using the term "Web resource" in PAQ [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/358

Raised by: Olaf Hartig
On product: Accessing and Querying Provenance

The definition of 'resource' in Sec.1.1 starts by: "also referred to as web resource"

I propose to avoid using the term "Web resource" - in this definition _and_ in all other parts of the document. WEBARCH doesn't introduce this term. Some people understand Web resources as resources for which a representation is accessible on the Web (e.g. [1]). I guess we want to be more inclusive.

Hence, to avoid confusion I propose to replace (nearly) any occurrence of "Web resource" by "resource" in our document. The only exception is the occurrence in the first sentence of Sec.5.1; here I propose to replace "Web resource" by "resource on the Web".

[1] Harry Halpin, Valentina Presutti. "An Ontology of Resources: Solving the Identity Crisis" In ESWC 2009.