Re: PROV-ISSUE-356 (replace-hadquoter): Replace hadQuoter by reusing wasAttributedTo [mapping prov-dm <-> prov-o]

From: Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 09:07:52 +0200
To: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Cc: Provenance Working Group <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
Stian,

Thanks for the examples. I think it gives a good rational to introduce
hadQuoter. The question is in general *who* do we need to identify? I
think the possibilities are:

- The person being quoted
- The person doing the quoting

I think a clearer predicate would be quotationAttributedTo but that
doesn't follow our predicate naming approach. Also, there's a question
as to whether introducing these extra relations helps or hurts. Do we
need to model more than attribution relation for a quotation?

Thanks for bringing this up,
Paul

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 2:20 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes
<soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 20:08, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker
> <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> hadQuoter could be replaced by reusing wasAttributedTo. This comes with some tradeoffs. Is prov-o team and wg okay with these tradeoffs?
>
> My argument for why they should not be replaced - see examples in
>
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/47b52dc6a91e/ontology/components/wasQuotedFrom-hadQuoter
>

> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/47b52dc6a91e/ontology/components/wasQuotedFrom-hadQuoter/had-quoter.ttl
> shows how it is now.
>
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/47b52dc6a91e/ontology/components/wasQuotedFrom-hadQuoter/had-quoter-was-attributed-to.ttl
> is trying to do as Tim is suggesting - using wasAttributedTo for both
> hadQuoter and hadQuoted - and why I think it does not work.
>
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/47b52dc6a91e/ontology/components/wasQuotedFrom-hadQuoter/had-quoter-roles.ttl
> shows an attempt to solve this using roles - but this does not work
> when there are multiple quotations.
>

> In short, my argument is that wasQuotedFrom is more than a short hand
> for some wasAttributedTo links. As we know, wasAttributedTo just means
> that the agent wasAssociatedWith the activity that generated the
> entity. It does not say anything else about how or to what degree that
> agent was associated, it could be performing the activity, monitoring
> it. In my example, based on the PROV-DM example of the Dagstuhl
> blogpost paragraph, then there could be two agents who created the
> blog post, but only one of which was quoted. Similarly there could be
> two agents making the paragraph, but only one of them who was quoting.
>
> --
> Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
> School of Computer Science
> The University of Manchester

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group
Artificial Intelligence Section
Department of Computer Science
VU University Amsterdam