Re: PROV-ISSUE-352 (rename-WasQuotedFrom): A better name for wasQuotedFrom [prov-dm]

Hi Daniel, All,

Sorry to be late jumping in on this thread. Definitely, wasQuotedFrom
is modeling what it is intended to model now. Tim's examples are good.
The main case I'm trying to support is <blockquote> on the web. This
happens all the time in blogs. They quote from a newspaper and then
add some commentary.

You often see many blogs (e.g. [1]) that look take a piece of content
and reuse it from another site. You want to identify that content as
an entity and link it back to the source ([2])

:blockquoteX prov:wasQuotedFrom :newspaperArticleY

Another way to read it is blockquoteX is a quote from
newspaperArticleY but we don't do that because we put everything in
the past tense. So I would argue for it to stand as is.

Does that make sense?
Paul

[1] http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/want-lower-tax-rates-hire-a-lobbyist/2012/04/18/gIQA8X3hQT_blog.html
[2] Note, it's a pain to mine this information from site because the
blockquote is often not directly after the link that tells you the
provenance that's why we need some structured data.

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Daniel Garijo
<dgarijo@delicias.dia.fi.upm.es> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
> I see your point. IMO, if you wanted to separate both the quotation from the
> rest of the
> post you could still do it creating a separate entity. Right now we are
> forcing the user
> either to do so or to use another relationship.
>
> Thanks for the examples. I still find a bit funny that I can use
> wasQuotedFrom  for copying and downloading files
> and I can't use it for saying that my post actually quoted another
> post/article. I have just
> realized that my expanded terms example is not completely right, so I'll
> have to change it.
>
> Since both of my suggestions have been droped, I don't have a better name
> for the moment.
> I'll try to think of another one, and if I don't manage to come up with a
> new one I'll close the issue on monday.
>
> However, I would still like to know Paul's point of view on this thread. His
> "5 simple provenance statements"
> example was about posts (although no reference to wasQuotedFrom was there).
>

> Thanks,
> Daniel
>

> 2012/4/19 Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu>
>>
>> Daniel,
>>
>> On Apr 19, 2012, at 4:53 PM, Daniel Garijo wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tim, Luc.
>> From what I understood, I thought that wasQuotedFrom was way less
>> restrictive.
>> For instance, if a blogger writes an opinion and quotes another article in
>> a blog post
>> I would expect him to assert that the post wasQuotedFrom the article:
>>
>> :post prov:wasQuotedFrom :article
>> (Therefore the prov:hadQuoteFrom would make sense, as in your example)
>>

>> Instead, if I understood correctly, we are forcing him to create an
>> intermediate entity just for the quote
>> that is used in the publication activity which generated the article.
>>

>> Yes.
>>
>> I think we see each type of modeling (the "pedantic via direct quote way"
>> and the "abbreviated post-to-post way")
>>
>> I'm glad that it is clear, so that the WG can decide on which they want.
>>

>> I can't see how that is scruffy provenance
>> (wasn't it supposed to be a shortcut??):
>>
>> :quote a prov:Entity;
>>           prov:wasQuotedFrom :article.
>>
>> :publActivity a prov:Activity;
>>                   prov:used :quote;
>>                   prov:generated :post.
>>

>> You can omit the activity and use a derivedFrom like I did in my example.
>>
>> :post prov:wasDerivedFrom :quote .
>>

>> :post a prov:Entity;
>>         prov:wasGeneratedBy :publActivity.
>>
>> Since it was a kind of derivation, I assumed that if you added additional
>> stuff to the entity that is repeating
>> some of all of the other entity it would be a quotation…
>>

>> If we define it like this, how do we distinguish which part of the entity
>> is quoted and which part of the entity is original?
>> (pedantic, proper hat is clearly on here)

> [...]

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group
Artificial Intelligence Section
Department of Computer Science
VU University Amsterdam