W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-prov-wg@w3.org > April 2012

Re: PROV-ISSUE-311 (clarify-optionals): Clarify optional arguments in DM [prov-dm]

From: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 15:58:46 +0100
Message-ID: <EMEW3|0c82b845b6202abfb774a13748c1245bo31Fwn08L.Moreau|ecs.soton.ac.uk|4F79BEA6.80807@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
Hi Stian,

If you follow [1] below, you will now find our proposed answer to 
optional arguments.
It contains explicit links to prov-dm part 2.

I propose to close this issue pending your review.
Regards,
Luc


On 03/30/2012 04:12 PM, Luc Moreau wrote:
>
> Hi Stian,
>
> I have been thinking about your suggestion on optional arguments.
> I looked at all the optional arguments [1] in prov-dm.
>
> Most of them, I believe, imply  existential quantification.
>
> It would be nice to have this confirmed, and then we can write it up 
> in part 2.
>
> Luc
>
> [1] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/optional.html
>
> On 13/03/2012 11:05, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
>> PROV-ISSUE-311 (clarify-optionals): Clarify optional arguments in DM 
>> [prov-dm]
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/311
>>
>> Raised by: Stian Soiland-Reyes
>> On product: prov-dm
>>
>> There seems to be some confusion over any of the 'optional' arguments in
>> PROV-DM/PROV-N.
>>
>> It is unclear if this means that the argument is *implied* (ie.
>> existential quantification/bnodes in OWL/RDF) or not applicable/not 
>> present (NIL).
>>
>> It might be good to go through all of the optionals in PROV-DM and 
>> make sure they make that clear.
>>
>> For instance:
>>> Generation, written wasGeneratedBy(id,e,a,t,attrs) in PROV-N, has 
>>> the following components:
>>> id: an optional identifier for a generation;
>>> entity: an identifier for a created entity;
>>> activity: an optional identifier for the activity that creates the 
>>> entity;
>>> time: an optional "generation time", the time at which the entity 
>>> was completely created;
>>> attributes: an optional set of attribute-value pairs that describes 
>>> the modalities of generation of this entity by this activity.
>> Change to:
>>
>>
>>> Generation, written wasGeneratedBy(id,e,a,t,attrs) in PROV-N, has 
>>> the following components:
>>> id: an optional identifier for a generation, if unspecified the 
>>> identifier is not known;
>>> entity: an identifier for a created entity;
>>> activity: an optional identifier for the activity that creates the 
>>> entity, if unspecified activity is still implied, but unknown;
>>> time: an optional "generation time", the time at which the entity 
>>> was completely created, if unspecified the time is unknown or not 
>>> applicable;
>>> attributes: an optional set of attribute-value pairs that describes 
>>> the modalities of generation of this entity by this activity, if 
>>> unspecified an empty set is implied.
>>
>>
>>
>

-- 
Professor Luc Moreau
Electronics and Computer Science   tel:   +44 23 8059 4487
University of Southampton          fax:   +44 23 8059 2865
Southampton SO17 1BJ               email: l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk
United Kingdom                     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~lavm
Received on Monday, 2 April 2012 14:59:20 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 April 2012 13:07:02 GMT