Re: Best practice for specialization

> Is L1v1r1 alternateOf L1v1?

I could be wrong, but I would say: no, it is not, since they are not a *
specialization* of the same entity.

In the way that you presented your view on the provenance, they are only *
derived* from the same entity, since you have the activities A1 and A3
using L0 and generating L1v1 and L1v1r1.
So i think you can assert wasDerivedFrom(L1v1,L0) and
wasDerivedFrom(L1v1r1, L0), but not alternateOf(L1V1,L1V1r1).

To support this further, Sam came up with a good counterexample for these
being alternate. If L0 consists of person-location information, and L1V1
only retains the persons, and L1V1r1 only retains the locations, both
datasets are derived from L0, but they are by no means alternates of each
other.

However, one could imagine to provide a sort of "conceptual view", and
introduce an entity:
 entity(inputDataForAlgorithmA)
Then, together with
 specializationOf(L1V1, inputDataForAlgorithmA)
 specializationOf(L1V1r1, inputDataForAlgorithmA)
you could say that
 alternateOf(L1V1,L1v1r1)
because they are both specializations of the input data.

So to sum up, I guess it depends on the granularity and the angle at which
you view the provenance. In the literal case, they do not seem alternates
to me, yet when looking at the conceptual representation, they are. Or is
this introducing too much semantics to the constraints?

Regards,
Tom
---
Tom De Nies
Ghent University - IBBT
Faculty of Engineering and Architecture
Department of Electronics and Information Systems - Multimedia Lab
Gaston Crommenlaan 8 bus 201, B-9050 Ledeberg-Ghent, Belgium

t: +32 9 331 49 59
e: tom.denies@ugent.be