Re: PROV-ISSUE-43 (derivation-time): Deriviation should have associated time [Conceptual Model]

From: Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:20:11 +0200
To: Luc Moreau <l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
CC: "public-prov-wg@w3.org" <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
Hi Luc,

Issue 43 is still relevant. In particular with respect to the
pe-linked-derivationExpression as there is an inference rule that lets
you go from that to relations that have time, thus, I suspect there
should be times that cover these corresponding events. I think this also
impacts wasEventuallyDerivedFrom in that it says that it implies a
temporal ordering. I think it's nice to have time being associated with
events if there is temporal ordering.

In general, it's useful to have it associated with events. However, I
don't think it's that major of an issue. It can either be resolved
through the use of qualifiers or by adding in time.

This is resolved. I think the definition of Agent is clear that Agent is
an entity, thus, an agent can be derived from another agent. I think it
was not so clear before this revision that agent was an entity.

Luc Moreau wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> What should we do about ISSUE-42 and ISSUE-43. Are they still relevant?
> Can they be closed?
> Thanks,
> Luc
> On 22/08/2011 22:16, Luc Moreau wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>> Given the current document, is this issue still relevant?
>> If yes, are we referring to isDerivedFrom?
>> Which time (more precisely event) do you have in mind? use event?
>> generation event?
>> associated process start event, associated process end event?
>> potentially a combination of all the above?
>> Luc
>> On 23/07/11 16:46, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
>>> PROV-ISSUE-43 (derivation-time): Deriviation should have  associated
>>> time [Conceptual Model]
>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/43
>>> Raised by: Paul Groth
>>> On product: Conceptual Model
>>> Other relationships have time associated with them (e.g. use,
>>> generation, control)
>>> There is no optional time associated with derivation.
>>> Suggested resolution is to add the following to the definition of
>>> isDerivedFrom:
>>> -  May contain a "derived from time" t, the time or time intervals
>>> when b1 was derived from b2
>>> Example:
>>> isDerivedFrom(b1,b2, t)