Re: Issue 89 - why?

From: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:34:33 +0100
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
Hi Khalid and Graham,

Attributes help characterize a thing in the world.
Provenance helps explain why these attributes have specific values.
In particular, constraints such as
link attribute values to something in the provenance of an entity.

In addition, there may be arbitrary properties that are not attributes, i.e.
they are not characterizing a thing.
For instance, the model document mentions the icon used to render an
entity graphically.

If an entity is given arbitrary properties,  I think it's important
whether this
is a characterizing attribute (for which we may find an explanation in
the provenance),
or whether this is a non characterizing property (which may have nothing
to with
the thing in the world, as the icon example).