Re: PROV-ISSUE-89 (what-entity-attributes): How do we find the attributes of an entity? [Formal Model]

From: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 00:07:35 +0100
To: Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu>
Cc: public-prov-wg@w3.org
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 23:18, Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu> wrote:

>> prov:characterizedBy
>>    a owl:AnnotationProperty ;
>>    rdfs:domain prov:Entity .
>>    rdfs:range rdf:Property .

You could also here set rdfs:range to prov:characterizingProperty to
achieve what you say below, but OWL experts will have to tell me if
that would actually work together with your SPARQL query.

> However, the modeling of the Stian's second variation could be a bit cleaner using rdfs:subPropertyOf .
>
> :colour rdfs:subPropertyOf prov:characterizingProperty .
> :owner rdfs:subPropertyOf prov:characterizingProperty .

While I like this simplified approach and the beauty of the resulting
SPARQL, this unfortunately makes :colour and :owner characterizing
properties of any entity uses them. The problem is that by our model
it is up to the asserter to determine for each entity what are the
characterizing properties. There might be another car not
characterized by its :owner, but still have :owner defined. (or could
it?)

The asserter can of course work around this by making one subproperty
for each 'normal' property:

:colourCharacterizing rdfs:subPropertyOf prov:characterizingProperty,
prov:colour .

:car :colourCharacterizing :blue .

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team