Re: PROV-ISSUE-64 (definition-use): definition of use [Conceptual Model]

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 10:12:39 +0100
To: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
CC: public-prov-wg@w3.org
On 05/09/2011 08:17, Luc Moreau wrote:
> You still seem not to take into account the optional nature of asserting
> roles. Maybe, it's a question of presentation in the document. But ultimately,
> we are
> telling people you are free not to express roles. Under the bonnet, there
> will be an unspecified role. I don't understand what the problem is with
> this approach, where a default value is provided.

I think there may be a mismatch here between designing a *system* and defining a
*standard* - the point of a standard is to specify what is visibly exchanged
between systems.

In particular, if the role is optional, then it is unhelpful to say "Under the
bonnet, there will be an unspecified role", because what exists "under the
bonnet" is exactly an implementation choice.  If I write a system that uses
provenance information in a limited fashion that never involves roles (which is
OK, as you have said they are optional), then there is no unspecified role under
the bonnet.

Thus, if the presence of a role is optional in the exchange of provenance
information, then I think it should be optional in the model, as it is the
exchangeable provenance information that we need to model here.  Maybe, as you
say, this is simply a matter of choosing appropriate phrasing.

#g