Re: PROV-ISSUE-122: Constraint on wasGeneratedBy (PROV-DM and PROV-OM) [Conceptual Model]

From: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:40:10 +0100
To: Satya Sahoo <satya.sahoo@case.edu>
Cc: Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl>, Provenance Working Group WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 00:26, Satya Sahoo <satya.sahoo@case.edu> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> Sorry about the mixup!
> Constraint on wasGeneratedBy property (in PROV-DM document on Oct 10, 2011):
> "If an assertion wasGeneratedBy(x,pe,q) or wasGeneratedBy(x,pe,q,t), then
> generation of the thing denoted by x precedes the end of pe and follows the
> beginning of pe."
>
> Issue: An entity e may be generated before the end of pe, for example
> a manufacturing PE can generate multiple entities before terminating.

That's exactly what the constraint allows. The entity generated by PE
can't be generated *before* the PE started  ("generation follows
beginning of pe") , nor *after* the PE ended  ("generation precedes
the end of pe").  I think the problem is just that the constraint is
quite hard to read because it takes the positive approach instead.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science