Re: PROV-ISSUE-62 (about-prov-language): about provenance language [Conceptual Model]

From: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:46:25 +0100
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

Hi Graham,

On 07/29/2011 10:09 AM, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
> As such I think it's entirely inappropriate to start
> defining linguistic constructs such as identifiers and scoping.
> Assuming the actual language used will be RDF, I'm not seeing how what
> you describe will be possible.

Why is it inappropriate?

I don't think we define what identifiers are, per se, btw.

Are you suggesting we do not mention them at all?
Are you suggesting that we don't write either that construct XYZ
contains identifier id?

Assuming it's acceptable to mention identifiers, I feel it's not
unreasonable to mention
their scope.

Now, it should be possible to drop the notion of identifier completely.
I am not against it.
I think it would make the specification more abstract, more
mathematical, and less of
a data model.