PROV-ISSUE-57 (comment-on-ivp-of): comment on ivp of

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 09:02:05 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

PROV-ISSUE-57 (comment-on-ivp-of): comment on ivp of

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/57

Raised by: Luc Moreau
On product:

The revised
(w.r.t. http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/F2F1ConceptDefinitions#IVP_of)
treatment of IVP-of, and relabeling as "complement-of" completely
overturns my understanding of what this was intended to capture. I
understood the whole point of A IVP-of B was intended to capture the
notion that A denotes a contextually constrained form of the entity
denoted by B.  I don't see what useful purpose this relation serves.

>From a practical perspective, given the asymmetric nature of IVP-of
(as was) it is easy to express the effect of complement-of in RDF by
introducing a new entity node.  But I see no way of constructing the
strict constraining role of IVP using complement-of.