Re: PROV-ISSUE-30 (name-for-bob): What name do we use for the BOB construct? [Conceptual Model]

Hi,

I would advise against using the same terms with different typographical convention :-)

what the document perhaps needs to clarify more upfront is that there is a "real world" and then a model of it, and the constructs
of the language are about the model. It does say that but perhaps not strongly enough.
- Characterized entity belongs in the world
- BOBs belong in the data model that is a representation of the world.
These two levels are never conflated.

The good old "record linkage" community (data quality in databases) never had any qualms about using "real-world entities", as in
"reconciling different records (BOBs?) that represent the same real-world entity".
In their world (pun intended :-)), a record is a very concrete data structure that sits in a data store and you can display on a
screen.
Now, we cannot use "record", we have ruled out "information(al) resource"... but isn't that basically the territory?
Entity representation?

-Paolo

--
Paolo Missier - Paolo.Missier@newcastle.ac.uk, pmissier@acm.org