PROV-ISSUE-32: Bob definition [Conceptual Model]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:49:55 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

PROV-ISSUE-32: Bob definition [Conceptual Model]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/32

Raised by: Khalid Belhajjame
On product: Conceptual Model

The definition of Bob states that

"A BOB assertion is about a characterized entity, whose situation in the world is variant. A BOB assertion is made at a particular point and is invariant, in the sense that all the attributes are assigned a value as part of that assertion."

I suggest to modify the definition as follows:

"A BOB assertion is about a characterized entity, whose situation in the world *may be* variant. A BOB assertion is made at a particular point and is invariant, in the sense that *the attributes used to characterize the BOB* are assigned a value as part of that assertion."

"is variant" -> "may be variant": there may be situations in which a given entity has only one characterization which spans the life time of that entity.
"all attributes" -> "the attributes that characterize the BOB" or "the attributes associated with the BOB": this is to avoid people thinking that we have complete knowledge of all possible attribute that can be used to characterize the BOB.

Khalid