Re: prov:supersededBy missing? (was Re: PROVO-O in QUDT)

From: Ralph TQ [Gmail] <rhodgson@topquadrant.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 10:08:02 -0800
Cc: "public-prov-comments@w3.org" <public-prov-comments@w3.org>
To: pgroth@gmail.com
Paul,

I think the semantics of 'supersededBy' are different to 'wasRevisionOf'. When something is superseded it no longer should be referred to. Whereas when something is a revision of something else all versions my still be valid. We see this in many document-centric environments. For example at NASA, a specification for telemetry and commanding of vehicles existed in a number of concurrently valid revisions (REV A, REV B, etc.).  Each revision having justification in specific contexts-of-use. Moreover 'supersedes' and 'supersededBy' are very commonly used at W3C.

Ralph Hodgson, @ralphtq

Mobile Phone: +1 781-789-1664

CTO, TopQuadrant, @TopQuadrant

Blog: Voyages of the Semantic Enterprise

Newspapers: SPARQL, SemanticWeb, LinkedData