Re: summary of informal PING working meeting last Friday...

On 3/11/14, 11:01 AM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

> On 03/11/2014 03:03 PM, Joseph Lorenzo Hall wrote:
>> The guidelines in RFC 6973 are in no way systematic; they are
>> probably better characterized as a point or one-time evaluation.
>> They are meant to be a set of considerations that IETF
>> specifications should respond to before Area Director review, and
>> the AD can require specification editors to include text
>> addressing those issues.
>
> Joe, could you explain your criticism regarding RFC 6973?
>
> Regarding the question about when to do the review RFC 6973 does
> not mandate a specific style. In the IETF, as you know, reviews are
> done in all stages of the document life-cycle (not only during IESG
> review).

I didn't mean it as a critique necessarily... just a statement of the
model of review that IETF currently supports. It seemed to be that the
w3c process is so different that having more specific elements
sprinkled throughout the standards process might be a good alternative.

Of course, the desire to make this not a chore for PING or WG
participants is a big part of what we can reasonably do here... which
is why I think a two part solution may be good in the short term:

1. Have something solid in place for newly chartered activities that
incorporates PING and privacy (trainings, privacy consideration input
into draft charters).

2. Try and enhance or profile the 6973 guidelines for web standards
such that we're comfortable that it will do some real good in  what
Frank talks about in the "go-live" sign-off... but that clearly must
happen at the Working Draft stage.

I'm a total noob, so please teach me where I'm being naive and we'll
move on to do great things.

best, Joe

- --
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist
Center for Democracy & Technology
1634 I ST NW STE 1100
Washington DC 20006-4011
(p) 202-407-8825
(f) 202-637-0968
joe@cdt.org
PGP: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871