Re: search engines: right to be forgotten, sitemap.xml proposed solution

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:36:06 +0900
To: Joe Alhadeff <joseph.alhadeff@oracle.com>

Le 13 déc. 2012 à 14:58, Joe Alhadeff a écrit :
> 95/46 is the current EU Data Protection Directive - sorry policy wonk shorthand - (applicable to all EU members with slight variation due to transposition into national law).

ok thanks for the explanation.

> only be retained for a period of time that is relevant and appropriate to the purpose of collection.

hmmm…

>  Thus if my only reason for collecting information is to deliver a product (purpose = transaction fulfillment) my appropriate period of retention might be x days or weeks after delivery - whatever the period of time reasonable to wait for a complaint about delivery.

ok. When talking about data collection, we are very strongly focusing about corporations and individuals.

1. individual to individual
2. individual to individual (through a third party)
3. individual to govs
4. individual to corporations
5. many more cases

in the tools I was discussing about I guess it would be more 1 and 2.

> There may be marketing and customer retention reasons both of which may have different reasonable period of retention.

"Reasonable period" and business interests do not match very well together. My issue is more with choices.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/
Developer Relations, Opera Software