RE: search engines: right to be forgotten, sitemap.xml proposed solution

From: Joe Alhadeff <joseph.alhadeff@oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 21:58:23 -0800 (PST)
To: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Cc: Daniel Weitzner <djweitzner@csail.mit.edu>, Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, rob@blaeu.com, public-privacy@w3.org
95/46 is the current EU Data Protection Directive - sorry policy wonk shorthand - (applicable to all EU members with slight variation due to transposition into national law). One of the main tenets of the Directive is that information may only be retained for a period of time that is relevant and appropriate to the purpose of collection.  Thus if my only reason for collecting information is to deliver a product (purpose = transaction fulfillment) my appropriate period of retention might be x days or weeks after delivery - whatever the period of time reasonable to wait for a complaint about delivery.  However most data is collected for multiple purposes with different retention periods.  There may be a warranty on the product and I maintain that information for a longer period.  There may be marketing and customer retention reasons both of which may have different reasonable period of retention.  IBM/Tivoli tried to address this variability of preferences and retention periods long ago with a preference language called EPAL.  I doubt I need to remind Danny of this :-)