Re: [saag] Liking Linkability

From: Ben Laurie <benl@google.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 12:26:41 +0100
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Cc: nathan@webr3.org, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>, Ben Laurie <ben@links.org>, "public-philoweb@w3.org" <public-philoweb@w3.org>, "public-identity@w3.org" <public-identity@w3.org>, "public-privacy@w3.org" <public-privacy@w3.org>, Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>, "public-webid@w3.org" <public-webid@w3.org>, "saag@ietf.org" <saag@ietf.org>, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
On 22 October 2012 11:59, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> On 10/22/12 5:54 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
>>
>> Where we came in was me pointing out that if you disconnect your
>> identities by using multiple WebIDs, then you have a UI problem, and
>> since then the aim seems to have been to persuade us that multiple
>> WebIDs are not needed.
>
> Multiple WebIDs (or any other cryptographically verifiable identifier) are a
> must.
>
> The issue of UI is inherently subjective. It can't be used to objectively
> validate or invalidate Web-scale verifiable identifier systems such as
> WebID or any other mechanism aimed at achieving the same goals.

Ultimately what matters is: do users use it correctly? This can be tested :-)

Note that it is necessary to test the cases where the website is evil,
too - something that's often conveniently missed out of user testing.
For example, its pretty obvious that OpenID fails horribly in this
case, so it tends not to get tested.

> Anyway, Henry, I,  and a few others from the WebID IG (hopefully) are going
> to knock up some demonstrations to show how this perceived UI/UX
> inconvenience can be addressed.

Cool.