Re: Privacy Icon Study

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 12:05:53 +0100
To: "<jeanpierre.lerouzic@orange-ftgroup.com>" <jeanpierre.lerouzic@orange-ftgroup.com>

Le 1 mars 2011  09:38,

> If your browser says "do not track me", you can legally sue the company that tracked you on many juridictions.

not true.
IANAL, but you can sue someone/entity

* if the local legal framework contains "do not track me",
* if the contract has been broken
* etc.

This will vary a lot from country to country, from company to company. So far the feature "Do not track me" doesn't protect of anything. It is more a statement sent to Web sites (if they track the http header).

Do not get me wrong it is an interesting step.

Another issue related: Most of the browsers get revenues through the search engine box on the top right which helps tracking the users. I wonder what would be the conflict here between the headers and the search box.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/