Re: Does the Crystal Goblet apply?

On Sat, January 4, 2014 1:14 pm, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 4 January 2014 12:47, Tony Graham <tgraham@mentea.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, January 2, 2014 3:45 pm, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>> I think you hit on a central point, which is education: tutorials, for
>>> example. XSL-FO is not suffering low rates of adoption because it's
>>> more
>>> difficult to use than other technologies, it's suffering because it
>>> hasn't been sold that well.
> Backing up a bit. Arved has a valid point here.
> IMHO DSSSL bombed (at least partially) due to lack of 'education'
> (read usable documentation).

We tried, Dave, Ken, and I:

http://www.mulberrytech.com/dsssl/dsssldoc/contributors.html

Apart from DSSSL being 'too much, too little, too late', it also lost out
to XML fever, where most people jumped-ship to XSLT and XSL-FO as soon as
that was an option.  Now CSS for print is the Next Big Thing, and XSL-FO
is on the diminishing end.

Regards,

Tony.