Re: Does the Crystal Goblet apply?

On 5 January 2014 23:08, G. Ken Holman <gkholman@cranesoftwrights.com> wrote:
> At 2014-01-05 17:09 -0400, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>
>> A sidenote: it's not actually necessary that XSL-FO need be generated from
>> XML via XSLT. Liam already alluded to this: transformation from CSS to FO.
>> In fact I could *directly* choose XSL-FO as a format that I wanted
>> formatters to work with for printed material, and programs that produce FO
>> from *any* source would work just as well. It's tunnel vision to think that
>> your FO source needs to be XML via XSLT.
>

> I've been trying for years to promote this concept, and back in 2002 posted
> a Python example in my free resources:
>
>   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/#dumpfo

Has anyone seen any data as to where *most* XSL-FO is sourced?
Possibly due to financial systems, to me it would seem reasonable
that it is sourced from XML, assuming single sourcing is the goal.

Programmatic FO must put it down the popularity stakes surely
since other libraries are much more readily available and produce
PDF directly?

regards

--
Dave Pawson