Re: Where we headed?

On 04/06/13 01:40, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> Tony, I like your idea, I read the posts through in detail back when you
> first presented them. I'm looking forward to reading the paper.
>
> No question but that feedback seems to be where we're at.
>
> I might buttress your work by doing some programmatic investigation with
> FOP, since I'm reasonably familiar with that codebase. It's also concept
> development, and my reason for doing programmatic through an API is
> because I am not that familiar with XSLT, but extremely familiar with
> other programming languages [1].
>
> Interesting looking talks at that Balisage conference. If you happen to
> buttonhole Michael Kay, implore him not to actually implement a new
> markup language to replace XML or JSON or Yaml. Please. I'm sure he'd
> have something better, but these days we constantly see proof of the
> adage that "better is the enemy of good enough". :-)
>
> Arved
>
> 1. Truth be told, since XSLT is declarative and works well in this
> space, I am convinced that an bettter FO formatter would actually be
> written in something like F# or Scheme or Haskell. Quite frankly it
> would ideally be written in Prolog with constraint programming.

XML-Print is based on a typesetting engine written in F#:
http://www.dh2012.uni-hamburg.de/conference/programme/abstracts/xml-print-an-ergonomic-typesetting-system-for-complex-text-structures/

Just for the sake of mentioning yet another programming language, if I were to
write something new that would be in Clojure.

> On 06/01/2013 09:34 PM, Tony Graham wrote:
>> On Sun, June 2, 2013 12:23 am, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>> Just jogging the group. :-) Where are we at right now, what's next steps?
>> Thanks for the timely reminder: I've been meaning to post something but
>> obviously haven't got around to it.
>>
>> My paper, "Decision making in XSL-FO formatting" [1], was accepted for
>> Balisage in Montreal in August, and the current feedback proof-of-concept
>> and the idea of adapting Saxon's event handler model make up half the
>> paper, so I'll be very interested in making progress on those once I
>> finish up my current client work (half of which provides another quarter
>> of the paper).
>>
>> The proof of the proof-of-concept, as it were, would be to do multiple
>> iterations inside the one XSLT transformation, e.g., adjust font-size
>> until some text just fits the available area.  I haven't got around to
>> trying that yet, but anyone else is welcome to have a go at it.
>>
>> Turning notions about event handlers into reality is a whole other level
>> of difficulty that I haven't started to look at yet.
>>
>> One of the reviewers of my paper made the point that decision making is
>> ordinary in LaTeX, so I'll also need to spin up Speedata to provide a
>> point of comparison.
>>
>> Quite separately, there's the "Publishing and the Open Web Platform"
>> workshop [2], for which you need to submit a position paper by 1 July if
>> you're looking for an invitation to attend.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> Tony.
>>
>> [1] http://www.balisage.net/2013/Program.html#f1100l
>> [2] http://www.w3.org/2012/12/global-publisher/