Re: Customer requirement, a critque

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 07:28:01 -0500
To: Arved Sandstrom <asandstrom2@eastlink.ca>
Cc: public-ppl@w3.org
On Mon, 2013-02-25 at 03:24 -0400, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> [...]

> your below, there's nothing that stipulates a
> single pass A -> B -> C processing model in FO formatting and rendering.

Indeed, I expect implementations tht handle the cross-referencing and
indexing on large documents already have a multi-pass implementation.

[...]

> > And by my exaggerated comment that XSL-FO is a dead end, I just want
> to point out that the computational model (= no renderer feedback)
> does not work for the more advanced requirements.

That's not intrinsic to FO, but a design feature/limitation of 1.x, to
facilitate implementation.

It's also not related to procedural vs. declarative approaches.

Regards,

Liam

Co-author, 5th edition of "Beginning XML", Wrox, 2012