Re: New Year. Renewed activity? New Chair?

On Fri, 2013-02-08 at 08:04 +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 7 February 2013 22:01, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote:
>  I think the lack of feedback from the
> > renderer is the main issue anyone coming from TeX or or a TeX-like
> > system faces when looking at XSL-FO.
>
> IMHO the prime request is for this feature,  yet it was hardly
> discussed in the WG.

We'd talked about it quite a bit e.g. in our Montreal F2F, but it was
quite some time ago. The person who had gone off with an action item to
write a proposal was one of the ones who wandered off altogether,
unfortunately.

> Given an 'if' or a 'choose' element in the vocabulary,
> what conditions would you want to test, using feedback from the layout engine?
>
> e.g. if 'pagebreak-due' to test if the next block would require to be broken.
>
> What conditions would you like to test?

Making one object the same width or height as another, asking whether a
piece of text (as) fits in a given space so as to give alternate content
(which we did discuss), and accessing font metrics for positioning all
come to mind.

Best,

Liam